Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lettuce and Greens Plantings


We finally got our boxes moved to the right spots in our yard today! My husband has been working crazy hours, including late nights and weekends, so it's taken us over a month just to get a few hours together to move the boxes and fill them with the rest of the soil.

As an incentive to get it done, I bought some nice lettuce, basil and giant chard starts, as well as a strawberry plant from the accordian man at the farmer's market and 6 organic starts from the hardware store, all of which we got planted today. Tomorrow, I'm going to follow up by sowing lettuce seeds, as everything I've read suggests planting new lettuce seeds every two weeks.

We still haven't put our tomato plants out yet. There have actually been a few cold nights lately, despite warm days and I don't want to expose them to a serious chill. We will get them out next weekend. I'm hoping in the meantime that Tammy can come over and help me plan where they should go!

So, today's plantings in the lettuce bed were:

6 x romaine lettuce starts
6 x speckled butter lettuce starts
6 x regular lettuce starts
6 x mesclun lettuce starts
6 x arugula starts


We also planted 1 basil start in a little box on the decking and the seven strawberry plants in a strawberry pot on the lower deck.

Here are some pictures - they're not great quality - from my phone - but I wanted to remember the beginning of the bed as a comparison later in the year.

Little romaines and baby giant kale peeking from behind the lavender. 


Speckled lettuces and pinwheel.


Our two little boxes, finally next to each other, rather than perpendicular!

No comments:

Post a Comment