Thursday, April 1, 2010

The 2010 Tomato List, So Far

Last week, Tammy hooked me up with five starts - four tomato and one tomatillo. These are the types she gave me, along with the origination of the seeds:

Tomatillo Verde
(Baker Creek)
Cherokee Purple (Winter's Own)
Black Cherry (Winter's Own)
Isis Candy (Winter's Own)
Early Ssubakus Aliana (Winter's Own)



I also got some great seeds as a Christmas present from my mother-in-law. The seeds are from Landreth's. My daughter and I started five seeds each on Monday for the following varieties:

Green Zebra
Arkansas Marvel
Green Giant

I copied Tammy's coffee filter method, except I used tea bag filters. The seeds are presently percolating on top of the DVD player in a cabinet... we'll see how they grow! I figured 5 seeds per variety was a good starting place. If by some miracle they all succeed, I'll have to find some friends to share with, as I only want one of each!

Finally, I'd like to round out my crop with some starts from Steve, the Tomato Guy. I think I'm going to do the Principe Borghese and the Scattalone, but I need to figure out where I'm putting everything before I commit... I don't want to be overwhelmed like last year!

At this count, I'd have 9 tomato plants and one tomatillo... If I don't go with Steve's supply, I'll just have 7 tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment