Sunday, March 28, 2010

Welcome!

Hi there! Thanks for popping by. This is the first post in my new blog, which is meant to chronicle my amazing feats of killing plants.

I've always been a black thumb with plants - I vacillate wildly between gross neglect, parching plants to the near bitter end, then drowning them, literally, with daily over-waterings. I'm not completely inept at caring for things - historically, animals have blossomed under my care, and I have two small children who have managed to thrive thus far. When it comes to plants, however... not so much.

Despite past evidence of failure, I decided to dive head first into creating a square foot garden last summer. In addition to planting (and killing) numerous lettuces, some corn, string beans, peppers and sundry herbs, we also had about 9 tomato plants in containers. There were some successes, but, in the end, I lost heart because, at summer's end, some of the craftier deer figured out how to circumvent my hoopty deer fence.

This year, 2010, I'm back with a vengeance. We JUST had a great fence / gate built into the end of our driveway, which completely seals off our back yard. Now that I feel we can embrace a new year of plant killing without help from the larger local vermin, I'm ready to give it a try.

I wish I'd kept record of last year's attempts, as I've already forgotten a number of the tomatoes we planted, as well as which ones had better success than others. My mom, a fantastic gardener, had suggested a record, and now I see why.

Also, I'm inspired to share this as a blog because I have gotten so much out of reading my friend, Tammy's blog: http://marinmangos.blogspot.com/. She, too, claims to be a beginner, but that's total BS - she even knows about things like "grafts," "cross-pollination" and "harvests."

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment