Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pruning & Tying a Tomato Plant



I was just looking for a good picture of a tomato plant to show the suckers, and I came across this handy site. Pruning is way down the road, but I like how well the article explains how to do it and includes three basic rules.


  1. get the plant off the ground
  2. give it room
  3. never prune or tie the plant when the leaves are wet
Yep, I think I violated all three of those rules last summer.

The article even talks about "advanced" techniques like Missouri pruning vs. simple. Huh.

It even goes over how to tie tomatoes (something I totally butchered last year... one poor plant, the Pink Brandywine started to resemble Santa's Little Helper dangling on a choke chain.The plant was so poorly pruned that it was super-tall, had barely any leaves, save one paltry stem, which I'd slung up high to keep the sole tomato from smacking the ground).

This article is definitely a keeper for future reference.

Also, I like the illustrations

No comments:

Post a Comment