Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Green Thumb, Black Thumb




I bought these two succulant plants about two years ago from a neighbor's yard sale. I intended them to be house plants, but they've somehow remained outside suffering from my usual drought / flooding routine. This past fall, I bumped into the neighbor, who I didn't really know that well. Without telling her I'd purchased some of her plants, she got around to telling me she was widowed and how her husband, a long time sufferer of Parkinson's, had found working with his plants to be therapeutic. So, essentially I have this fellow's legacy plants.

I noticed one was failing in the backyard and brought it into our bathroom where it gets warm moisture and soft natural light. It has thrived.

Because it's winter and we don't go in the backyard much, I wire forgot about the other poor thing. Today I spotted it, forlornly sitting half dead and drowned in its pot amongst sone other long-since dead, less hearty things. Remembering this dead man's legacy, I brought it in today and set it next to its cousin. I think I will get them some fertilizer and see how the tortured one returns. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment